How are we a week in to December? This month is flying by already – here we are on Blogmas Day Seven!
With the month flying by in a flash, it won’t be long until the big day is upon us and so here are 9 eco-friendly Christmas Gift ideas that are perfect for the travel lover in your life (or you know, as a treat for yourself).
I feel like most travellers are always looking for ways to cut down their impact on the environment. And with Climate Change being one of the main headlines this year, it’s a reminder that we need to be so much more careful and considerate when we’re travelling. From using soap bars, to car sharing or exploring your destination by foot, there’s something we can all be doing to reduce our environmental impact. So if you know someone who is heading out on their travels soon, or fancy treating yourself to something new, here are 9 eco-friendly gifts that are the perfect travel companion.
So I grouped toiletries together because there are so many eco-friendly options out there – to be honest I could have made a whole post on them. But here are my top 3 environmentally friendly toiletry options you can gift this Christmas…
- Bamboo Toothbrush – with plastic toothbrushes taking up to 1000 years to decompose, bamboo toothbrushes are a great eco-friendly alternative that are perfect for travelling with. There are so many options out there, so make sure you check out Bamboo Detective‘s guide on the best bamboo toothbrushes on the market this year.
- Shampoo/Conditioner Bars – I love taking shampoo bars on my travels. Not only do they take up minimal space in your luggage, but they are so good for the environment too. I love Lush‘s selection of shampoo and conditioner bars, there’s options for every hair type and allergy needs! Check out their page here.
- Muslin Face Cloths – if you’re someone who always takes facewipes on the road with you, muslin face cloths are a great switch in order to reduce your environmental impact. Here in the UK, so many high-street brands like Boots, ALDI and Superdrug now sell these reusable cloths, as well as many zero waste shops!
EATING & DRINKING
Once again, I could have done an entire post on eco-friendly options for eating and drinking. And to be honest, many travellers will probably use these already…
- Reusable Water Bottle – basically if you drink anything liquid, you can use this. Having a reusable water bottle in your backpack is an essential item! Most high-street retailers and supermarkets stock these, so they are super easy to find. And there are tonnes of cute designs to make yours personal!
- Reusable Shopping Bags – it’s so useful to have a shopping bag in your backpack for grocery shopping, souvenir shopping or even just a rainy day.
- Travel Friendly Food Containers – if you’re cooking in a hostel and always find yourselves with tonnes of leftovers and no where to store them, this is the one for you. Reusable food bags are perfect for any hostel stay, and are also pretty sturdy for those travel days too. You can find these in Supermarkets, some high-street stores and on Amazon.
REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE
Last but not least, here are some amazing recycled products that are perfect for the traveller in your life…
- Recycled Notebooks – to be honest, a lot of places now sell recycled notebooks. They’re a perfect gift for people who love to make a travel journal or planner. A simple search on Google will lead you to some fantastic options, or just take a wander down your local high-street and see what you can find.
- Recycled Backpacks – these are such an innovative idea! Recently, there has been a rise in people purchasing backpacks made from recycled materials and they’re perfect for commuting to work, using as cabin luggage, or for a day bag on your next adventure. Check out this handy guide to find out some of the best backpacks on the market made from recycled materials.
- Recycled Makeup Bag – carrying on with the recycled luggage theme, Wearth London has created a beautiful recycled makeup bag perfect for travellers. Handmade in Norwich (UK), it’s a perfect item to store all your eco-friendly makeup products.
I hope this guide has given you a little inspiration for your Christmas gift purchases, and inspired you to shop a little more eco-friendly this Christmas!